This case study was released in March 2013, prior to the merger of Hitachi Plant Technologies with Hitachi, Ltd. The company is renamed as Hitachi, Ltd. Infrastructure Systems Company (Sri Lanka Branch Office).
A pressing need for an advanced water treatment system to meet the growing demand for clean water of the population was called for. In view of Hitachi Plant Technologies' expertise in building advanced pump systems projects, the company, together with Taisei Corporation, was selected by the Sri Lankan government to construct an advanced water treatment system facility.
Challenges of the water supply project in Greater Kandy:
- To supply a large volume of treated water to the growing population in Sri Lanka
- To support with durable pumps that would be functioning without disruptions
- To monitor and control the process of water treatment over multiple sites in the region
Solutions delivered by Hitachi Plant Technologies:
- Delivery of quality pumps that ensure durability in the lifetime of the water treatment system
- SCADA system that enables the monitoring of the water treatment process in multiple sites
- Training of local engineers in the operation of the water treatment plants